Sunday, January 16, 2011

Bread

I'm starting out the new year as a real baker! I have finally learned how to bake bread! For Thanksgiving I volunteered to make rolls so I could get in some more practice; and I baked my very first successful batch of dinner rolls, they were delicious. I went on to bake my very first loaf of bread successfully. There are some very important elements I had to learn to finally produce a great loaf of bread.
First of all it is important to add the right amount of water, depending on the weather and humidity of your location the amount of water you'll need varies. Second, you have to kneed bread until it is soft and smooth, enough to activate the glutten and aerate the dough. Third, you must not let the bread raise too much during the first sitting; otherwise, the yeast will eat up all the sugar and you won't have enough left for the second raise.
What really helped me to learn all of these key components; and how to make bread, was good ol' King Arthur Flour and the recipe for Soft White Dinner Rolls. These dinner rolls are wonderful tasty and simple to make, and I do make them from time to time.
Amazing how some simple understanding can make all the difference! Knowledge really is power! Now I have homemade bread in my own home whenever I feel like baking. What a blessing it is!

No comments:

Post a Comment