Friday, May 7, 2010

Poached Fish and Hollandaise

I finally had the chance to make a hollandaise sauce! Last month I decided to poach some fish and serve it with hollandaise sauce and vegetables for dinner one night. It was my first time poaching fish as well as making the sauce.
I don't like to cook with wine because I don't drink it, and what will I do with it after I've used what I needed to cook with! So I substituted white grape juice for white wine in the poached fish recipe. First I caramelized shallots in butter in a oven proof skillet. After arranging the sole evenly over the onions, I poured on the sparkling white grape juice, let it simmer a while then covered it all with buttered parchment paper and set it in the oven to finish cooking. I have to say I loved the poached fish part but the Dover sole I had chosen for the project was pretty bitter and I think I'd choose a real "sole" next time or an entirely different kind of fish.
The hollandaise sauce was shockingly a cinch to make! I have no idea why I should have been so intimidated by it before. It requires a lot of stirring and I think I would be more stingy with the lemon juice next time I make it. For the purpose of the fish I made the hollandaise into a Sauce Chantilly (made with whipped cream.) and enjoyed every bite except for the bitter after-taste the chosen fish emitted. As a whole I consider the experience a success and thank Julia Child for showing me how easy it is to make Hollandaise Sauce and how delicious poached fish can be. I am looking forward to learning to make an omelet her way and grace it with another batch of hollandaise. Mmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment